Being motivated to learn new skills is the attribute executives say is most critical for employees looking to get ahead, new research finds.
Specifically, 30 percent of executives said having a willingness to keep learning is the characteristic they consider most necessary for an employee to succeed, according to the study from the staffing firm Accountemps.
“Successful people never stop learning,” Bill Driscoll, a district president for Accountemps, said in a statement. “The world is changing quickly and constantly, and it’s vital to stay informed of the latest trends and sought-after skills in your industry.”
Executives are also placing greater importance on the ability to communicate and get along with others in the workplace. In the research, 27 percent of those surveyed said having strong interpersonal skills is critical to an employees’ success, up from just 15 percent who said the same in 2002. [See Related Story: The Job Skills You Need to Make More Money]
“The ability to convey complex information clearly and succinctly can lead to advancement opportunities,” Driscoll said.
Being able to adapt easily to change and welcoming increased responsibility were the other top traits the surveyed executives said are necessary for professional advancement.
Least important to executives was a willingness to burn the midnight oil. Just 7 percent of those surveyed said working long hours is a necessary success strategy.
“Putting in extra time at work doesn’t necessarily lead to positive outcomes,” Driscoll said.
To help employees looking to get ahead, Accountemps offers five career-advancement tips:
- Get involved: Joining industry associations is a good way to learn new skills and keep up to date on the trends affecting your profession.
- Volunteer: Volunteering for a nonprofit organization can help you hone your skills. In addition, these types of experiences provide opportunities for you to grow and learn.
- Keep learning: Earning an advanced degree or certification is a good way to demonstrate to employers your willingness to continue learning new skills. It also helps cement your expertise within your field.
- Hone your communication skills: When communicating in the workplace, it is important to observe body language, make eye contact and listen fully to what the other person is saying. When speaking to important audiences, it can also be helpful to rehearse what you’re going to say. Those who need work on their public speaking should consider joining a professional organization like Toastmasters.
- Think long term: You always want to be thinking about the big picture. This type of mind-set can help you make more strategic decisions and put you in a better position to get ahead.
Everyone is bound with commitments . Some of them we accomplish , while other we do not. Getting more things done efficiently in less span of time is called productivity. We need to use our resources in a specific time. Here are some tips to be productive in your workplace.
Arrange your desk
This is the first thing you need towards productivity. Keep your cubicle neat . From the paper to the files on the computer , everything should be organized and easy to go through when you need something. Cleanliness and organization are mood boosters at their core. They improve your mood and makes you work efficiently.
Focus on what’s in hand right now . Because when we try to do more than one thing at a time then we will do them all slowly and we tend to make mistakes and nothing will be completed. Focus on one thing at a time. Finish it. Now move on to the next task. Learn the shortcuts wherever you find.
Create your own target
Human mind likes to chase things. Create your own target which you want to achieve and then try to complete it within a certain time. Reward yourself once you complete it. Take a small break and go for the next task.
The desire to shine is a good thing but when it spills over into perfectionism it can also cause a lot of trouble. Don’t try perfection in everything. This creates mental stress and also more time will get wasted before completing the task. Do your best . Let the results speak.
If you are supposed to leave at 5pm leave at 5pm. Only inefficient people work overtime because they have invited the burden to themselves by not prioritizing their work. This can be made possible by avoiding procrastination and by scheduling your tasks.
Use the right tools
Use productivity apps and tools for a easier way to complete tasks. For example
- Evernote – App for taking notes. Create, edit and share notes.
- Lightshot – Best screenshot extension
- Google Drive – Save important files and folders in google drive. You can access it from anywhere
- Hootsuite – Hootsuit is colossal for managing social media accounts.
- Ginger- Extension for grammer and spell checker
Eliminate any kind of hurdles when you move towards your task. It may be bad lighting or it may be your talkative neighbor. Avoid them politely. Don’t go for unnecessary breaks with your friends. You can chat with friends later but you can’t pause the deadline.
Leading global career portal for job seekers, employers and recruiters.
Leading global career portal for job seekers, employers and recruiters.Careerbilla is the leading global job search and career information portal for job seekers, employers and recruiters. You can also build your resume and test your skills.